HMS Surgery Research Day Keynote Lecturer
Eun-Sil Shelley Hwang, MD, MPH
Mary and Deryl Hart Professor of Surgery
Vice Chair of Research, Department of Surgery
Chief, Section of Breast Surgery
Duke University School of Medicine
• Date/Time: Saturday, March 13, 2021, 7:45 AM – 1:15 PM
• Abstract Deadline: Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:59 PM (no exceptions will be made).
• Registration: Required for all attendees. There is no registration fee but registration is mandatory, regardless of whether or not an abstract is submitted. Please register online by clicking here. The registration deadline is March 5, 2021. All trainees are encouraged to attend, whether they have a presentation or not.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ABSTRACT(S) SUBMISSION:
• The call for abstracts is open to all trainees (surgical residents and clinical fellows, medical or graduate students, Ph.D. postdoctoral fellows) in an HMS-affiliated Department of Surgery (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital). HMS surgical residents who are conducting their research outside of an HMS institution (e.g., MIT, NIH, other academic institution) are also eligible.
• Work in progress or abstracts that have been previously presented at other meetings are admissible. Presenting at this meeting is not a deterrent for future abstract submission to national/regional meetings. Work published already as a journal article is not acceptable for submission.
• Trainees must submit an abstract over sheet with their abstract. There is a limit of one abstract per first author. You can be included on other abstracts as a contributing author, but cannot submit numerous abstracts as first author.
• Abstracts will be reviewed and scored by the HMS Surgery Research Day Committee.
• 18 applicants will be selected for an oral presentation (9 basic science, 9 clinical research).
• Notification of selection for presentation will be by email by February 12, 2021.
• Abstracts will be placed in the Clinical/Health Services Research or Basic Science categories. There will be four prizes as follows:
• First and second prize for best clinical oral presentation ($500 and $300, respectively)
• First and second prize for best basic science oral presentation ($500 and $300, respectively)
• 300 words, double-spaced, minimum font 11 point (Arial or Times New Roman) no longer than one 8 ½ x 11 page with 1 inch margins with the following headings: Background, Methods, Results, and Conclusions.
• Title on the top of the page single-spaced
• You may include either one table OR one figure. The word count of the legend for the table or figure should be included in the word count. Include the Abstract Cover Sheet (download below) with your submission.
• All abstracts submitted must be intelligible to a diverse audience, including clinical and non-clinical faculty.
• Submission is by e-mail to email@example.com.
For assistance or other queries, please contact the HMS Surgery Research Day Committee members at your institution:
Dr. Quoc-Dien Trinh: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Erika Rangel: email@example.com